These hand carders are made from local Midwest Red Oak, and have a Cherry handle. They are finished off with a half-and-half oil from the Real Milk Paint Company just like our other products.
They are currently available at either a 72 tpi carding cloth for most fibers or a 120 tpi carding cloth for cotton or fine fibers.
They are a bit heavier than some hand carders at 14.5 oz each. However their curved base and ergonomic handle have an easy to handle sturdy feel.
The hand carder measures 8.5” x 4.5” with a 5” handle and the pad tooth bed is 7.5” x 4”
This quality hand made product is heirloom quality and should bring you many years of enjoyment.
Our Kitten drum carders feature fully adjustable drums mounted on steel axles with sealed steel ball bearings on both the swift and licker-in for silky smooth lubrication-free operation. They have 3/8 aluminum handles for flex free turning strength. They are built using modern methods, quality parts, and hand crafted care. The drums come pre adjusted for optimum performance; however, they can be easily readjusted for your varying requirements.
The Kitten has a 4 to 1 drive ratio. It features a polybelt drive that does not slip, for smooth operation. It has 1/2" long carder wire giving you the ability to produce thick batts. It is 15" in length, 15" wide, and weighs approximately 10 pounds. Kitten drum carders are made from 100% North American Red Oak hardwoods. The slide out feed tray is made from one quarter inch hardwood veneer.
Kitten drum carders are sanded and coated with a tung oil finish. Tung oil helps protect the wood in your carder from splitting in very dry climates, and adds a beautiful depth of color to already lovely oak.
This drum carder is dressed with solid brass strips and all adjustment screws are stainless steel or zinc plated for a long and rust free life. Just like its big brother "The Fancy Kitty Big Tom Drum Carder", it has an 8.5" wide drum that will produce batts 22" long.
In keeping with our philosophy of low cost and high end features, the motor kit has the following features:
1. It uses an expensive gear drive motor that turns slowly allowing the use of small pulleys, but has a great amount of torque (turning power). It will maintain the speed at which you set it and not bog down. It also uses tooth belt pulleys that feature the same no slip quality of chain drive, but with no required maintenance and very quiet operation.
2. It has fully adjustable speed control, from 0 to 60 rounds (on the swift) per minute. (Because the motor drives the swift, it will have the same 4 to 1 ratio on the swift to licker-in. Just like turning it by hand.)
3. It is reversible. Great for removing batts or dizing a roving off the swift.
4. It will work with our brush attachment.
5. For our current customers, it will EASILY install on your existing Kitten carder with a screwdriver and adjustable wrench.
6. The entire assembly which consists of a frame, two pulleys, gear head motor, motor controller with speed control/on off switch/reverse switch, tooth belt, power supply, and power cord will be contained in an approximately 3.5" tall red oak frame that will fit under the existing Kitten drum carder and match perfectly.
Kitten carders purchased with a motor kit also receive the helpful tools pictured above.
Your carder will arrive fully assembled and ready to use at no extra charge.
The Kitten comes with a thorough instruction manual and several handy tools for your convenience (pictured above).
We offer a one year warranty on cloth & belts (normal wear & tear) and life time limited warranty on all hard parts and workmanship, to the original buyer, as well as parts and repair to anyone.
All our products come with a 100% satisfaction guarantee. You may return any item within 14 days of receipt in the original box & packing for a full refund less shipping. You are purchasing from someone that been working and turning wood for 50 years, having sold pieces to universities, galleries, museums, and individuals in all fifty states and more than thirty countries around the world.